Monday, September 22, 2008

Animation-style characters

Quite recently I've been looking at the work of the nine old men from old Disney, and while I definitely respected their work before, I never knew before how many levels this stuff is working on. It's completely amazing how well thought-out it is. I'm already starting to disdain flat graphic stuff a little bit for not having nearly as much thought behind it's shape construction and direction. Huge, HUGE thanks to Kevin for really educating me on this.



I'm much happier with the short guy than the tall guy. I drew this last night but already I can see the tall guy needs work. His pose could be better constructed and a bit more energized, and his face is too firm, not quite animated enough - needs more squash and stretch going on. A decent start though, yes?

3 comments:

Jeremy Schramm said...

JASON!!! These are nice! I do agree though about the tall guy. His head and body seem a bit seperated. Are there a lot of profiles in animation? I really dont know, honest question. I ask 'cause I'm wondering if he'd look better at as a quarter view on his face. Good looking thought!! MORE!

Duncan Barton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Duncan Barton said...

Jason, I agree with the taller dude- I'm not sure weather he's talking over the short guy or reacting to what's being said. I think it's an issue of what he's doing rather than how's he's drawn. The short guy reads great and I'm sure this will look awesome cleaned and colored or just left alone as a sketch.

I totally agree with your feelings about flat graphic styles... they have their place yet most always pale in comparison to good drawing like this. Keep it up!