Wednesday, September 10, 2008

first steps



This is a rough for Gary Barker. Originally supposed to be more like a hellboy type universe creature/character. but doing that kind of concept art to me it too lame (ok, really i don't mean lame) and too done, and quite simply too easy sometimes to make things look ugly and demonic. Soooo i went in the other direction a little, he likes it so far. I had a dream once where i was diving out of heaven, to bring peace to a really dark situation, and decided to use that for this assignment

3 comments:

Jeremy Schramm said...

right now it kinda looks like your falling out of the sky rather than diving out. Have you looked at some pictures of people diving off the diving board? style wise I think your getting what you want, very graphic, bold shapes. I want to see the rest of the process!

Jason Williams said...

What's that crazy moon-speak on the side?

I like the idea of the multiple seraph-like wings. I agree with Jeremy that the pose could read a bit more clearly as a dive - pay attention especially to how the legs are positioned over the wings and background. If you can picture it as a silhouette and it still reads clearly, you're golden! I'd also like to see more going on in the lower right corner. Maybe position the hand more over that way, or some more clouds carefully placed to avoid overlap with the figure. Great start and a bang-up concept!

Duncan Barton said...

I "third" the comments above. Keep up the good work Craig!